In the Gallo-Roman time Mareil-en-france was only lumberjacks' hamlet, situated in the northeast of the current church, near the Roman way from Rome to Amiens (by Lyon, Lutetia, Saint-Denis, Sarcelles and dependent on the Roman city of Luzarches).
This hill covered with oaks in the middle of a plain of bushes, was cleared by the lumberjacks and put in culture with their them suzerains monks of the basilica of Saint-Denis (monks Benedictines of Cluny of the Abbey of Saint-Denis, under the orders of the Priory of Gonesse) who, in the IXth century built a convent on the West of the chapel of time(period) and on the location of the current church.
Of this convent there is only a working room (at present sheepfold in the northwest of the big court of the farm).
In the XVIth century, the monks built a second and bigger church to Mareil-en-France among whom the foundations and the base of the current church are vestiges as well as bottom and bottom of the bell tower, the lower two thirds of the facade and the portal of the current church which she, replaced her in the XVIth century.
Mareil-en-France - until 1783 the locality was called Mareuil-en-France.
Houses were in the East and in the northeast of the church and the convent, then the village of Mareil-en-France extended on the West and in the North.
The buildings of the convent were demolished for the greater part in the XVth and XVIth century.
Visits to Mareil-en-France
- The church holy Martin
The this beautiful whole religious architecture of the Renaissance in Country of France is built by master Nicolas de Saint Michel.
The ornamental sharpness characterizes the set. The pillars of the nave in five spans present every four half-Doric columns topped with capitals decorated with friezes.
On these fly away of new columns combed by the same crowning. The architecture abandons the outer foothills for the benefit of the internal piles which prop up while creating spaces used as side chapels.
Five spans of the nave are lit by the bays of the collateral and open on shoulders by arches in full round arch. The leaky wall of west wall of a rose is reconstructed in 1860.
Funeral liter is the one of Louis-Léon Potier, marquess of Gandelu, duke of Tresmes and Gesvres, peer of France, died in 1774.
- The turret
This building named the "Turret" situated on a hillside dominates the valley of Ysieux And is very characteristic of the landscape of Mareil-en-France.
Situated in the middle of fields, he served as harnessing of springs to feed the castle of Epinay-Champlâtreux. We say that he was also used as relay of hunting but his modest size does not seem to confirm this use.
- The farm
Near the balcony of the city hall of Mareil-en-France, the triumph gate allows to enter the square court of this magnificent farm.
In the angle opposite to the lodging house, the discounts and the stables were saved. These outbuildings are of exceptional proportions and a high quality of execution.
The freestone is used for the chaining of walls, headbands of facade and circles of acquaintances of windows, the filling of walls being in blocking of rubble stone.
The former stables present very beautiful architecture. Following the example of the outer walls, fish bones and doubleaux of vaults are sailed, voûtants being in blocking.
Carter's bed was fitted out in the arch of the stable. Exceptional, he contains two superimposed coats. A scale allows to reach the bed of the top. This furniture was used by the carters, the day before the escorting of the straw towards Paris, the departure given well before the dawn.
- City Hall
Placed on a headland and encircled by a high stony wall including a Guardroom, the city hall-school of Mareil-en-France is installed in a house built in 1765 bought by the City Council in 1842.
In 1867, the building is enlarged to welcome the class drawn by the architect mister . Boulogne. The class is at present transformed into offices of the city hall.
The board room is reorganized in 1871, beautiful woodwork of oak are there still.